Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Questioning


Sometimes we have questions.

Where do babies come from?
Where is this relationship going?
Why do we have to learn geometry?
What if _______?

Typically, we ask them because we are unsure of the answer. However, there are times when we do have the answer, but we are in denial. We’ll ask the question hoping to get a different response than the answer we already know. Sometimes we can be in denial about positive things because we have a pessimistic point of view that convinces us an action isn’t in favor of our best interest. Ultimately the negative answer we keep searching for becomes the reality.

She kept asking me “what color is the sky”? I repeatedly answered, “Blue”. The first time, then again, then again. I told her the sky was blue, I showed her the sky was blue, I expressed multiples times, in multiple ways, that the sky was blue, and she still believed it was gray. Then today I said, “maybe I’ll have to figure out if the sky is gray; it just might be the case”. Then the gray sky came out and shown itself to her just as she wished. Her response was disbelief. She thought that I should have kept telling her the sky was blue, so that she could believe it. But the truth is, no matter how many times I show her the sky is blue, she will continue to believe it is gray. And so she got her answer.

And I got mine…

Until next time.

No comments: